Monday, May 12, 2008

Rainy Odds and Ends

After weeks of crowing about the beautiful weather, we finally had our weekend of downpours--to the point where the gutters overflowed into our back door and we grabbed the clean towels from the laundry basket that was making its way upstairs to stop the flow. Lovely. It's just as well, though, as we've been sharing a cold the past few days and didn't feel much like going out anyway. I am very glad that I recently decided to purchase kleenex at Costco, so we should have enough to make it through this bug.

So not surprisingly, we didn't do much this weekend. Basically, the highlights from the past week, apart from lying on the couch watching TV or sleeping, include:

  • Visiting the Jefferson's Library display at the Library of Congress. Pretty awesome, actually--my boss set up a tour for our staff and significant others with the Library's Curator. We could have listened to him for hours. In addition to a collection of books that Thomas Jefferson originally sold to Congress to start the Library, we got to see the original draft of the Declaration of Independence in Thomas Jefferson's handwriting, complete with edits by Ben Franklin and John Adams.
  • Going to Dawn's last softball game at Herndon High School, where she coaches the JV team. Fun, and I gained a deeper appreciation for my parents, who spent how many hours of their lives sitting in stands, watching me play sports.
  • Really, REALLY looking forward to this. Nephews (and possibly a niece?) are coming out of our ears, and we LOVE it!
  • Installing a sliding drawer into the cabinet in the kitchen, completing my "Pantry Renaissance" project that has been underway since March. Let me tell you, it is COMPLETELY worth the investment in snap-lock containers at Bed Bath and Beyond to be able to find the enchilada sauce and access the mixing bowls easily. It could seriously be featured in a "Real Simple" magazine article. Now if only my desk at work made me feel so happy.

2 comments:

RaChelle and Paul said...

Missy and Jason - nice job racking up the nieces and nephews! And your pantry sounds amazing - anything that could be displayed in those wonderful organizational articles in Real Simple just makes me happy!! Good work!

Meet the Bucher's said...

I love the new picture behind your blog title! You get the best flower pictures:-)