Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Done! (well, mostly)

I had a strong affinity for my college laptop. I'm not really a namer of things (Dawn is the one who named my car Beatrice), but if I was, my laptop would have been the first thing I named. We spent a lot of time together. We traveled overseas together. We mastered Shakespeare and footnotes and surfing the web together. I loved nagivating with its little green finger button (what were those called?). I willingly paid out the nose my senior year when the mouse needed fixed. And I was very sad when suddenly the "b" key stopped working...and then the "t"...and then, well, it's a good thing I met Jason, who knows how to take a hard drive out of an otherwise completely worthless laptop.

My new Dell (which is actually not new, it's two years old, which is, like, really old in computer years) is shiny and pretty and has a DVD player and wireless capabilities and a wide screen. But, like the pet you get to replace Fido when he dies, we've never really been close.

Until now.

After what feels like three solid weeks of doing homework during every waking minute, we have definitely bonded. I carried it to and from Idaho and started putting it in my car on the way to work, just in case. In fact, on Monday night we pulled an all-nighter...or as close to an all-nighter I can come at the ripe old age of almost-thirty-and-have-to-work-the-next-day...finishing my last paper. I seriously, seriously didn't think I would actually get it done. But the Dell and I pulled through, and I walked away from class at 10:00 last night, paper turned in and a small bounce in my step. I'm free. (Mostly. I still have a final in two weeks, but that is so not the same.)

Now I can decorate the Christmas tree that has been standing naked in our living room since Sunday and finally finish Breaking Dawn before Kaylyn sells it on e-bay. And read The Deathly Hallows again before Amazon delivers my Beedle the Bard. And, let's face it, go to bed early. So happy.

No comments: