Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Diving In

Literally. Shaanti convinced Jenny and me to sign up for the Y's mini triathlon (the "Y Not Triathalon"), which is August 6th when I will be in Boise for work. Yes, that's the August 6th that is, um, four weeks away. Yikes!

The race (and we use that word very lightly) is 1/4 mile of swimming, 6 miles of biking, and 2 miles of running, all of which is very doable...except the swimming, which has me totally terrified since I have yet to actually dive in to a pool this summer. Or since college, when my friend Bob and I would go "work out"* at the gym in the mornings. But it's amazing what a little fear of drowning/collapsing on the track will do to motivate you--I even rolled out of bed early to go running before work today (with lots of prodding from the other side of the bed)!

Speaking of which, it's getting late, and if I'm going to hit the pavement at 6:15 tomorrow I'd better hit the sack soon! Unbelievable.

*by "work out," I mean swim two laps and then spend 30 minutes in the hot tub at the Rec Center. Or skip the gym entirely and head to IHOP. No wonder I have gone down a pants size since college.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Keep up the good work! Are you registered and paid? I am. Better hop to it if not. NO "outs" allowed. I did 20 min biking today. I think the part I'm dreading is the gobs of floating duck and goose poop that we get to swim in, not to mention that i just KNOW some of it will wind up in my mouth. Sick! New train of thought. I'm so glad you're joining us in the venture!

RaChelle and Paul said...

I did the "in door" mini triathlon at the Rec Center in college. Oh yeah, it was amazing :). The swimming is definitely the worst part - I think that is why you do it first - in case you drown you didn't put all your energy into biking or running :).