Saturday, February 04, 2012

Bad and Good

I've reached the point of pregnancy where random people in the elevator tell me congratulations--which is preferable to the stage where my boss would tell everyone who came into the office, "Missy is pregnant, she's not just gaining weight" (and this is well-meaning).  Yesterday at the eye doctor I experienced an interest contrast in pregnancy comments.

Bad
The assistant told me congratulations (before blowing uncomfortable puffs of air into my eyes) and then asked me when I was due.  When I said, May, she looked shocked.  "Wow, you still have a long ways to go," she said, "and you're already so big!"

Sigh.  As if I don't already feel awkward.  It is just impossible not to take "your baby bump is big" and hear "you are becoming a chubby giantess."

Good
After my appointment, the second assistant adjusted my glasses (which have been slept in a few too many times).  When she had me put them on, I asked if they were straight enough, and she said, "Oh, they could probably be a little straighter, but you just look so fantastic and glowing that no one would notice.  When are you due?"

That, my friends, is how you talk to a pregnant woman.  No, she is not bigger than your niece who is having twins and due a week earlier; no, her face is not "getting rounder"; no, she is not making the elevator stop on every floor because she is so heavy (thanks, boss).  She looks so great that you wouldn't even notice if her glasses were crooked.

3 comments:

april said...

Oh Missy, you're absolutely radiant! I'm with assistant #2, for sure. Can't wait to see pictures of the baby's new abode. Is it coming along? Hope you're doing as well as you look, girl.

Jason and Jackie said...

Missy -- no lie -- you look fantastic! I know how it goes. I was BIG with Jonathan. It didn't help that I craved beef in all forms (with the exception of beefy spaghetti sauce) and made MANY trips to VA just to eat a gigantic Red Robin burger and as many bottomless fries as they'd let me gobble up. You really do look gorgeous. You're just so stinkin' likable that folks feel comfortable laughing with you (making fun of you). :o)

Amanda said...

Oh my...yes, people say the strangest things! You look SO cute!!