Sunday, March 15, 2009

Surprise Launch of Birthday Week


I quickly learned that for Missy, birthdays are quintessential events. On my birthday, I prefer a quiet and relaxing night at home. For her, this is inconceivable. As such, I begin planning for Missy's birthday weeks in advance (it is not hard to forget, as she continually reminds me of the upcoming big day about once a week, starting the day after Christmas). In the past, Missy has also spread her birthday over several days, celebrating with her friend Dawn (who has a birthday the day before hers), and then traveling to Idaho for a follow-up celebration with family, usually at Red Robin. The latter not being the case this year, and it being the big 30th birthday, I knew I had to start the week off with a bang.


As social coordinator of our church group, Missy had already planned to have an after-church lunch today (March 15). To her surprise, I concurred with her recommendation to hold the event at our local Red Robin (while a fine establishment -- it is not my favorite restaurant spot). After she sent out the invitation to our class, I hijacked the event by sending a subsequent invitation that turned it into a surprise birthday party. I stumbled on a perfect solution. I essentially let her do the planning for the lunch, while I surreptitiously arranged decorations and a dark chocolate cake (her favorite)! Everyone in the class kept mum and Missy was caught completely unaware. Her decorated seat, complete with helium filled birthday balloons, was fit for a queen.

And so begins birthday week 2009. More to come ...

3 comments:

Bec said...

Way to go, Jason! I concur with Missy on loving birthdays!

Jenny said...

Good job Jason! And way to stretch it out over a week. Definitely Missy style and definitely what she was wanting for "making a big deal of turning the 3-0".

Meet the Bucher's said...

I'm so impressed! Missy definitely got a good one when she snagged you! Happy birthday celebrating:-)