Friday, March 03, 2006

Book Report: Why I love "Catlow" and "The Scarlet Letter"

The Scarlet Letter: major epoch of American literature and nastly little view of Puritanism. I love it. Like most American high schoolers (i.e., not Jason, who spent his formative literary years in Canada), I read and appreciated the symbolism of the book in the 11th grade. But when I read it again in college I found myself absolutely unable to put it down. It was my first clue that classics are also simply good reads. So, anyway, I was banking that the last love-fest with the book was not just a fluke.

The writer of the introduction started out by stating that the book is not about the sin of an individual, it is about the absurd punishment placed on her by society. I, book snob that I am, disagreed with her, scoffed in her general direction ,and skipped her introduction to start the book immediately. Having reached the other cover for the third time, however, I'm willing to humble myself and compromise with her a bit. The book is certainly not about the sin, but neither is it ultimately about the punishment. It is more about guilt and its interaction with punishment and truth--and how guilt manifests itself in us and through us, in how we repent, and what if we don't. Mmm, yummy book straight from Mrs. Rickett's class in the 11th grade.

As for Catlow, the rugged, reserved cowboy, the fast horse, the magnificent scenery, and the kick-tail woman (who is inevitably won over to afore mentioned cowboy)...what's not to love? Reading a Louis L'Amour book is a bit like rediscovering myself, if only the love of a good western that was instilled in me at birth.

No comments: