Wednesday, September 24, 2008

So, anyway...

I like posting on our blog, and even more I like reading posts on other people's blogs. So it makes no sense that I have gone so long without a real post here. It's just that it's been so hot. And so busy. And so...okay, hot and busy.

Actually, we are finally getting our air conditioning fixed on Friday, and, right on cue, the beautifully cool fall weather just set in. I know it sounds like I'm complaining (just noting the irony!), but I'm so not--it is so worth living here just for fall. The humidity and the tourists both go away, the sun becomes friend instead of enemy, the leaves start to turn brilliant colors, I find time to bake... Mmmm, fall is delicious!

I realize, too, that fall posts seem to be a little more random than the ones, say, at Christmas, or over the summer. That's okay, too, we kind of like it when nothing happens around here. Right now:

* Parley Vou? This week Jason started French classes every day, first thing in the morning. He's been dusting off that junior high French from fifteen years ago. It aches him to be up and at work so early, but he sounds pretty sexy while he's doing his homework.

* Commas. So, I can't speak a lick of French, but while Jason is etudie, I'm mastering the art of the properly placed comma. I'm taking an editing class this semester, and it turns out that I should not be an editor. Even though I think sentence diagramming is a kick in the pants. Seriously.

* Hockey Skates. As if French wasn't enough, Jason is also learning to play hockey once a week. I think it's going to be awesome when I get to be the hockey wife. Fight, fight, fight...

* Stories. For the first time, this semester I'm taking two classes a week instead of just one. My second one is a folklore class on the art of the narrative. It turns out I have to start recording stories that people tell so that I can use them for papers, so don't be surprised if I pull out a mini-tape recorder in the middle of a conversation.

* Thursdays. Between grammar and French and hockey and folklore...and Sudan and lame ducks and long work days that go by too fast...the best thing that we will be doing all week is this. Yessssss...

No comments: