Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ringing in 2009


After ringing in the new year until early this morning, we decided to celebrate the coming of 2009 the old fashioned way--by sitting by the fire with new January magazines and the Post, drinking tea and coffee, and staying in our pajamas until 3*. It is possible that the neighbor saw me in my pjs, yikes**.

Last night we had some friends over and sat around the table eating baked potatoes with chili and all kinds of other toppings. When we bought our dining room table last year, I insisted that we get one that would expand as much as possible, even though we have a little dining room and had, at that point, never had more than three dinner guests at once. For some reason, even though we live a continent away, I feel compelled to have a table at which my entire family could eat (and enough place settings on which to feed them). Ridiculous, I know, but it has paid off twice this week--first with the Oxford folks on Tuesday night, and then for potato bar New Year's Eve. This is a fun picture, except it is minus cutely-pregnant Dawn (maybe that's her eye?).

We spent the rest of the evening munching on goodies, drinking wassail, and enjoying the last lights of the Christmas tree before counting down to midnight by the light of Steven's iPhone. Welcome to 2009!

* Okay, so actually I was in my pjs until 4:40.

** Truthfully, there is really no doubt that the neighbor saw me in my pjs--of course he walked out his back door as I stepped outside for the only time today to help Jason get the Christmas tree out the door. I quickly slunk back inside without saying hello.

No comments: