Saturday, January 02, 2010

A New Decade


Remember 1990? How much we talked about the turning of the decade? This time around, I totally forgot that we were launching into a new decade. I suspect that turning millennia last time around--and our wildly unfounded Y2K fears--sort of overshadowed any future decade-turning.

So far, 2010 has been pretty spectacular. We started it off with a make-your-own-pizza party here with a bunch of friends, and since then we have pretty much spent it in sweats. To date this year we have slept in, watched movies, and read January magazines. I honestly don't know how I am going to go back to work on Monday.

I'm having a bit of a hard time letting go of Christmas this year. Last year the tree was down by the end of New Year's Day and I was ready to wipe my hands of the whole thing, but this year it is still hanging on, dropping needles onto the rug, and I just can't seem to be too bothered. And can someone find a reason for me to leave my twinkle lights up for a while longer? January needs twinkle lights, don't you think? Something to balance out the piles of dirty snow and frigid, hopelessly short days?

There are nice things about January, though. Like organizing things. Tonight I went to Target on a mission to get my cleaning supplies and bathroom cabinets organized, and I feel a bit better about January now. And, with no projects in the queue (pictures of the finished family room coming soon), we can spend our weekends hibernating the winter away. Not bad things by any stretch of the imagination.

No comments: