Sunday, February 21, 2010

Good Things

1. Watching US-Canada Olympic hockey with Jason. It's amazing how much my ability to follow the puck has improved over the past few years. Unfortunately, I don't know any of the US players (all the good Caps are Russian).

2. The Olympics. We are big fans and have watched about everything but Shawn White's half-pipe (sad). Don't you love the Olympics--suddenly becoming an expert on triple axles and "The Quad," remembering the sound of icy snow under your skis, quoting "Cool Runnings," choking up at Visa commercials?

3. Our great discussion about submission (erm...) in Sunday School today. Have I mentioned how much we love our group at church? We can't stop thinking/talking about how radical it would be if we all treated each other with Christ's spirit of grace.

4. Roasted asparagus. For lunch today we had the best asparagus I've ever tasted--it was so good it was almost like fruit. We are planting asparagus in our garden this year. Mmm...

5. My husband. I was about to lose it this weekend, in a panic about having to finish the first draft of my thesis weeks earlier than I thought, but by being so understanding (making dinner while I read, listening to my shrill freak-outs, providing tea at just the right time, acting like it's totally normal that I've been uber-type A about the coming week, and dolling out hugs when needed) he has largely made me feel in control again. I don't know what I would do without him.

6. Green things peeking up. It's been sunny and "warm" (i.e. above freezing) this weekend, and as the dirty stacks of snow recede, we've seen tiny bits of new green on the chives and butterfly bush. Spring? Are you out there somewhere?

1 comment:

RaChelle and Paul said...

Yes, Visa commercials! How can you NOT love them? And Morgan Freeman's voice...oh man. Glad you guys escaped to FL for a nice weekend - I have been thinking about you in your "snowmageddon." :)