Friday, February 17, 2006

Cheering the Opening Act

Last night Jason and I tried to reclaim our youth by sitting among the junior high crowd at the David Crowder Band/Third Day concert. It was the first concert of the tour and way fun. I actually love Third Day and had wanted to see them in concert for a while, but I will admit that it has been a struggle over the past two days to get the latest Crowder CD out of my car CD player (where it has been since I gave it to Jason for Christmas) so that I could catch up on Third Day's tunes. I have a deep and abiding love for DCB, and the 45-minute opening act was not nearly enough to quench my need for some live David Crowder tunes. I could write an entire entry, speech, or exegetical essay on the profound impact that the latest David Crowder Band CD has had on my life, but I will save it. For now, I will simply quote my brother: "thedavidcrowderbandisreallysweet."

That said, we did NOT leave after the climactic opening act, and Third Day was grrrrreat. My favorite part, of course, was when Jason was the only person in the whole audience who knew the words to "Consuming Fire," as most of the crowd had not been alive when the song was originally recorded...and when Third Day did the Nazarene College Circuit back in 1998. We spent the first 30 minutes of waiting motionless to get out of the parking lot reminiscing about seeing Audio Adrenaline, Newsboys, Smitty, and P.O.D. (if you catch that reference let me know) back in the day...when we were the age of the rest of our co-concert goers.

I can't say I didn't groan (hoarsely) when I pulled my sad old body out of bed this morning, but it was way worth it. Rock on. (And go buy the David Crowder Band CD.)
missy

3 comments:

Missy Small said...

Reason #4 that you know you are now a concert "oldtimer" -- when the artist asks for the audience to light up the place, instead of lighters, the crowd pulls out their cell phones with their bright lcd screens.

J.R. said...

haha, nice.

That David Crowder album is pretty sweet, good choice.

J.R. said...

P.S. - Have you checked out Sufjan Stevens yet, he wrote "Oh God, Where Are You Now? (In Pickerel Lake? Pigeon? Marquette? Mackinaw?)" which Crowder covers on his new album, it's on Sufjan's Michigan album, get it, it will change the way you listen to music!