Monday, February 06, 2006

Entertaining

Playing hosts this weekend, we ambitiously scheduled a dinner party for Saturday night and a Superbowl party on Sunday evening (overly ambitious, we know). Missy invited two co-workers (Solara and April) from her office with their significant others on Saturday. I prepared a classic lasagna with crock-pot/homemade pasta sauce, Missy used the breadmaker to crank out some rolls, and our guests provided salad and drinks. It was a perfect evening for food, fun, and laughter, despite the fact that we spent most of the day cleaning house (and installing new light fixtures in the hallway, recently damaged by the flood - see previous entry).

On Sunday, we invited three couples from our Sunday School class to watch the big game on my new plasma HDTV. Caleb's wife was out of town, so he brought their new pup Bullet instead (Note: the invitation for the pup was cautiously extended, and does not suggest we have altered our strict intolerance for pets). Missy and I took up competing allegiances (Seattle and Pittsburgh, respectively) -- but we enjoyed the game nonetheless. We served my [correction: Kim's] famous chili (both a spicy and non-spicy version), cornbread, a veggie platter, fruit pizza (a Johnson specialty), and home brewed iced tea. Our guests provided additional munchies. We had a great time with the crowd -- chatting about life, sports, and SNL -- squeezed into our cosy furniture (see photo).

We have become real entertainers. Missy is a fabulous host. We share the cooking responsiblities. And I get to write the blog. All of which works out great!

4 comments:

Scott M. Collins said...

I was looking for people I recognized until I rememebered where you go to church! Sounds like a great weekend!

Amanda said...

Jason, I miss you! It is a given I'd miss Missy too. So, you should feel honored. I enjoy your blog posting ... Look forward to hosting you both in Boston again.

Anonymous said...

WHO'S famous chili??

Missy Small said...

Kim -- I have to admit, I stole your Chili recipe for myself. But have no fear, I told our guests who gave me the recipe -- and did not reveal the secret ingredient!