Monday, April 09, 2007

Oxford Bound


Christ Church Picnic
Originally uploaded by jmsmall2005.

We did at least three things today that I had not done in the three months I studied in Oxford during undergrad. As we strolled around the beautiful Christ Church College meadow, I kept wondering what I did with all my time. Then we walked past the Radcliffe Camera, the famous reading room of the Bodleian Library into which only readers are allowed, and I remembered how I had spent all my time.

We had an absolutely delightful day in Oxford. For me, it was really special to share this place with Jason. My three months in Oxford are stuck in my memory as a magical time, and walking the streets was like remembering a million conversations. We walked all the way to Canterbury Road, where I pointed out to Jason #10, the house where I lived with gobs of friends. We ate ice cream at G&D's (mmmm...). And we strolled past Keble College's multi-colored walls to University Parks, home of many Ultimate Frisbee Games and morning runs.

Plus, we did some new things. We climbed to the top of St. Michael's tower, which offered us a beautiful view of Oxford from above. We bought salads at Sainsbury's and took them to Christ Church College, where we picnicked in the meadow and strolled along the canal. We finished the day on a packed train back to London, tired and happy.

We have had two beautiful days. England in spring is just like I always wanted it to be. And tomorrow is Nottingham...

From Jason: Missy is a great tour guide. I have a new appreciation for her months in Oxford and her fondness for the place and people. Thankfully, it did not rain, which I was forewarned was more likely than not to occur. We must have hiked many miles because my legs are feeling it tonight. I suppose we both need to get out of the office more ...

2 comments:

Bec said...

How fun! The Magdalen Bridge reminds me of the bridge in Anne of Green Gables. Beautiful Country.

Amanda said...

I love the top picture-- that should be the Christmas card. Look forward to having you back in the states so we can TALK!