Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry on the Beach


Harry on the Beach
Originally uploaded by jmsmall2005.
You'll note from my earlier entry that I did, as predicted, read the entirety of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" (is it too early to refer to it as DH?) on the day it came out. I decided to brave the crowds for myself at midnight on the 21st and headed down to Borders to pick up my book (Jason, who was still apparently on Libyan time, konked out at about 9:30). However, I did manage to wait until we were actually settled on the beach to open it to the first page. It appears that I do have a bit of self control, after all.

It was really lovely on the beach, by the way. We left at the crack of dawn (I think the "out the door time" was officially 6:55 a.m.) in order to get across the Bay Bridge before traffic backed up for hours. Even with light traffic it was a three or more hour drive, so by the time we had ourselves set up (and wow, we had quite a set up!) it was time for lunch...at least to our stomachs! Assatague State Park is our favorite beach--much quieter and wilder than most places on the Eastern Shore. Jason read, slept, played in the water a bit, did all the beachy sort of things. I, well, this picture pretty much captures it.

What this picture does NOT capture (thankfully) is the ugly, red, swollen souveniers I took home from the beach...in the form of my feet. Despite my best efforts at reapplying sunscreen and hiding under an umbrella (once the wind stopped blowing). My feet have never been so sunburnt, even during the infamous trip to Venezuela after college. I have basically been laying on the couch for two days, trying to get the swelling down so that I can stuff these pigs in shoes and go to work... It is quite pathetic. Still, the beach was worth the six hour drive and even toasted piggies, just to sit there with the wind and the waves...and the other five people around us also reading Harry Potter.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

your poor feet! All in the name of Harry. How are we going to talk about Harry? I am just now (Tuesday night) to the point i can talk without being a mess - should we do a phone date tomorrow sometime? 6