Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Feast


Ready for the Feast
Originally uploaded by jmsmall2005.
I generally don't have a problem with meat, eating, cooking, or touching it, which is a good thing, since a few days before Thanksgiving I found myself wrist-deep in turkey innards, wrestling profusely with the still-frozen turkey neck to get the turkey ready to brine. By the time I won the battle, I was sweating and using harsh language directed at my bird.

Luckily, it didn't take offense and turned into a really scrumptious centerpiece for our Thanksgiving table. One, you'll note, we did not photograph. Sad. Still, all the cleaning and baking and list-making paid off, and Thanksgiving was delish. The Foodie Friends Turkey will be a repeat guest at my table, mmm... (So will the sausage stuffing that I parsed together from a couple of recipes--and a box of Stovetop--that was so good even Jason ate it.)

The above is an awkward picture, thanks to our small dining room and large (yay!) table, but you get the idea. Jason's parents and grandma came to eat, visit, and see our house. We did a little post-Thanksgiving shopping (new purses for Lynda and me!) and then spent Saturday at Montpelier, President Madison's home. The house is currently being restored to its original condition, and it was interesting to see the renovations. We'll have to go back one of these days and see the final product.

Plus, we got to use the china. Love the china. And my grandma's handwriting is still on the china protectors, labeling them, and that made me happy.

No comments: