Sunday, November 18, 2007

Crowder, and Other Weekend Adventures

I can only assume that the Redskins are losing, as the last few bellows I've heard from the basement have not sounded encouraging. Poor 'Skins, I think we doom them by watching games. I've been perched on my favorite living room chair (see last entry), putting the finishing touches on my cultural essay due tomorrow. This essay has been mounds easier than the last--less deeply personal, but much simpler to write and edit. Relief.


We have two weekends of activity to catch up on, yikes! The highlight from both weekends was the David Crowder Band concert at the 9:30 Club last weekend. The 9:30 Club is a dingy, intimate place where you sit on the floor or stand, surrounded by rusty fences topped with barbed wire. What a cool place to pack people in to worship! It was amazing, awesome, we actually watched the concert in North Carolina on MySpace just to relive it a couple days ago. I wish you'd been there. Also, we were surprisedly please with Phil Wickham, the opening act, who rocked the place with his band of Gibson and Taylor.

We had a long weekend for Veterans' Day last weekend (go government workers), so on Saturday, after an impromptu lunch with Ryan of the Oxford Days, we headed out west about two hours and spent part of the weekend with Rob and Taiya at their farm. First of all, it was gorgeous weather, that perfect moment when the trees are at their most brilliant, and their horse farm was really cool. They spend their weekdays in the city, but on the weekend they trade their suits and blackberries for cover-alls and boots, building barns and cooking up delicious grub. Their house was built in the 1850's, and we got the gorgeous balcony room to wake up in, looking out over the mountains. Jason even got to ride Thunder, Rob's new draft horse!

On Tuesday we decided to buy some new dining room chairs so that everyone can fit around the table at Thanksgiving (Jason's parents and grandmother are coming on Wednesday), and, after calling around to find a way to get the ones we liked at the sale price without having to pay shipping (and risk them arriving November 26th), we somehow found ourselves parked illegally on M Street, the insanely-busy-at-all-hours main drag through Georgetown, outside of Pottery Barn loading four wrapped chairs into the Eclipse. This, my friends, is living in the city.

Fast-forward to this weekend. This afternoon we went to the Shakespeare Theatre to see Taming of the Shrew. I am never sure how I feel about Taming, I try really hard not to be offended but somehow always am. It was brilliant, though, and well worth waiting for (we've been trying to find discount tickets since the beginning of October!). Plus, Dawn went with us, and I have missed her. Otherwise it has been blessedly uneventful. I don't have to work this week, and I'm already trying to figure out how to divy up my time between making pies and polishing off the last of the grocery shopping and cleaning house and working on my next essay and relaxing... okay, so I've got to work a bit on that last one...

1 comment:

Bec said...

4 wrapped chairs in to an eclipse?!?! Amazing. Would have liked to have witnessed that! I never pack the car for anything because I can't make it fit. I am sure it is like a big puzzle, but heck if I can ever figure it out. Byron does the car packing...

Enjoy your week off and THANKSGIVING! Remember what you were doing this time last year?