Thursday, August 07, 2008

Out of the Office

Last Friday was my favorite day of the whole year--the day that Congress goes out of session for August and I get to stick on my "out of office reply," trade my high heels for khakis, and do the work of the good people of Idaho IN Idaho. Insert fist pump here.

A couple of my colleagues and I did a "water tour" across southern Idaho, visiting canals, irrigation systems, dams, and river conservation projects. The latter was definitely the favorite, since viewing the river projects required taking a boat trip down the river, where we got a pretty awesome view of a bunch of bald eagles and a pretty sweet bull moose.

On the way home, we took a detour off the freeway to visit a geothermal energy plant near the Utah border, and since we were already out in the middle of nowhere, we just kept going on the dirt road and ended up at the City of Rocks. There are lots of things I love about Idaho, and one of them is the random places that still look just like they do when pioneers were wagontraining their way west 150 years ago. Perhaps an Oregon Trail roadtrip (via car, of course!) should be in the works?

No comments: