Thursday, February 19, 2009

Getting Out There

Ice hockey is not one of those sports you just wake up one day and decide to do. That is, until they build a new ice hockey rink one mile from your house where the red-hot Washington Capitals practice. Ironically, ice hockey is one thing I never played while I lived in Toronto (although floor hockey and ball hockey during recess were regular staples). So, with a new rink in my backyard and the need to find something to keep me physically active, I signed up for skate and play classes about a year ago. It wasn't until the week after Christmas that I took the final plunge by investing in all the equipment (knee/shin pads, pants, chest pad, elbow pads, helmet, gloves, socks...). There was no turning back. So late every Wednesday (from 9:15 pm - 10:45 pm) over the last four weeks I have been learning to skate/shoot/pass and then scrimmage with 30-40 other guys (and gals!) who love the sport. It is a workout! One guy told me he dropped 20 pounds last year just from attending this class once a week. Despite the late hour, I feel energized (and gloriously sweaty) once it is over.

Last night, Missy and her mom (who flew in to visit us) stopped by to see me in action and snapped the photo. So, here is the proof. It is never too late for an old dog to learn a new trick. The key is just getting out there.

No comments: