Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Vegetable Garden -- Ready For Planting

With temperatures stretching close to 95 degrees on Saturday and Sunday, we bravely resolved to get outside and put the finishing touches on the garden. We are proud to say the 17' x 6' garden bed is level and finally finished. In order to keep the bed separated from the neighbor's fence, I cut a piece of pressure-treated plywood to run along the back and framed it in with timbers. I also buried about 15 feet of 1/2" tubing from the garden faucet for the drip irrigation system. Add 11 cu. ft of garden soil and 5 cu ft. of organic compost, and we are finally ready to plant! The strawberry plants from last year (bottom right corner) have survived and can count themselves as the first official residents of the new bed.

Before:
After:

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Lookin good guys! I can't wait to see how your harvest goes. I'll have to get some gardening advice. I'm plannin on doing a window-box with herbs. Miss, you're the herb pro here. I'll come callin if I have Q's

Meet the Bucher's said...

Love it! I get so excited about gardens!!!