Saturday, December 05, 2009

Happy Birthday, Justin!

Thanksgiving this year took us to visit Mom, Dad, Justin, Grammy and Grandmom in Mount Vernon, Ohio. Mom surprised us with a gathering of friends from MVNU one evening. Paul and Ruth Mayle, who I haven't seen since graduation, led a Spring Break trip to Hungary my senior year, a trip that played an important role in my decision to study foreign policy. It was also good to see Eric and Crystal Browning, especially their kids who have grown so much since I last saw them (it doesn't seem that long ago that Crystal was pregnant with William). Family friends and close neighbors, the Woods, also stopped by. They told us of their plans to visit their kids in Kurdistan (in northern Iraq) for the holidays -- including a stopover in a place we recently visited. I always enjoy introducing Missy to the people and places that played a role in my formative years. It made me start planning in my head a trip to Hungary for Missy.

Turkey Day met all the standards I remember from growing up -- roasted turkey, delicious rolls, mashed potatoes, all smothered in gravy. Mom also made me a raspberry pie (one of my favorites) for dessert. After lunch, a few of us fled to the basement to watch a movie -- and I finally got to see one of Clint Eastwood's great films from last year. We planned to head to the movie theater that evening -- but between the rainy weather and long lines, we decided to abandon that idea.


After a stop at Walmart to pick-up a few items on Black Friday (we keep a running list for Walmart, since we don't have a store nearby), we headed east to Millersburg, OH -- the self-professed center of Ohio Amish country. We stopped at a Amish furniture store -- completely powered with natural gas (no electricity), and then toured a Victorian home decorated for Christmas. We also stopped by the Smuckers factory and, Missy's favorite, Lehman's non-electric supply store, which provides merchandise for the Amish...and anyone else interested in canning, using kerosene, or planting a garden (I'm afraid Missy is considering taking up canning next year in addition to planting a garden. Yikes.). It was quite a day.


Every few years, Thanksgiving is close in date to my brother Justin's birthday -- so this year we were present to celebrate his 26th. He had his favorite -- ice cream cake! -- and we all relived the good ole days as we looked through family photos and shared a few laughs. Just can also be a bit expressive in his reaction to gifts. This photo is priceless. Happy halfway to 52, Justin! We're looking forward to your potential visit in 2010!


P.S. There was also an impromptu talent show -- enjoy!


No comments: