Monday, May 31, 2010

Farmers Marketing

My one goal for this summer has been to ride our bikes to the farmers market in Falls Church. And by this summer, I mean sometime in May or October, since no one in their right minds is going to ride their bikes anywhere once real summer hits. So that's what we did on Saturday--hauled out my bike (Jason biked to work all week), got lost a little on the way, and eventually made it to the really great farmers' market that's close to the church.

I just like walking around the farmers' market, even though we don't usually come home with loads of groceries. Tilly and I have talked about trying out lots of markets in the area, but right now I'm really partial to this one, with the stand where they sell homemade bread and the one with all the pots of flowers and the one where they make crepes. Mmm, crepes. This week the only thing we bought was English peas, which we took home on a much more direct route than we came.
Peas turned into this delicious, springy-flavored lemony tortellini soup for lunch. Yum!

Turns out it was just the right weekend to take this bike ride--today it is hot and humid and very much like the middle of summer. I know, because I tried to go running at about 10:00 a.m. Huge mistake. Too hot for anything but sitting on the deck, drinking ice water. Or sleeping.

No comments: