Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fishing

I am overwhelmed with the urge to go fishing. My coworker Laurel just got back from a float trip on the Middle Fork, and when she was telling me about how she caught so many fish she had to take a few hours off to give herself a break, I wanted to whimper. Any commercial for Nature Valley granola bars (particularly the one where the couple is watching the sun rise on the mountain side) makes me sigh.

I want to stand in the middle of a stream where it is perfectly quiet except for the sound of the water and feel my heartbeat slow to the rhythm of my fly rod moving back and forth, back and forth, "Missy's-my-name, and-fishing's-my-game." I want to not move from that place until it is time to go back and sit by the fire and drink hot chocolate and watch the stars come up. I want to be still, even if I don't catch a single fish.

Clearly I am in need of an August.

2 comments:

Kanodes said...

Uh...you made me want to fish. Well, at least a little. Or to read Psalm 46 while sitting on a deck chair in the mountains watching a river while others fish. Yep, that's it. ;) Love you. Still working on our date's date.

Meet the Bucher's said...

Soon, soon.