Monday, April 23, 2012

A Last Perfect Weekend

Last week was stressful, starting with a Sunday morning episode that had us frantically packing the hospital bag and installing the car seat, just in case.  Among the panicked thoughts running through my head at the idea of our little guy coming two weeks earlier than expected was the fact that I had not moved all my files over to our office shared drive, I did not want to bring a baby home to a construction zone (should have thought about THAT in, oh, January), and I was so glad Jason and I had gone out for a fun dinner and movie the night before.

That last thought in particular stuck with me, so I decreed that the next Saturday would be the perfect pre-baby day.  No trips to buy diaper pails/diaper cream/diaper caddies, no sewing projects or shopping for faucets or running errands.  Instead, we did the following:

*  Slept in until either nature or hunger (both, in my case) forced us to get up.  It was absolutely marvelous.

*  Sat in our robes in the living room and ate breakfast (novelty because we didn't have construction workers in our house).

*  Did normal spring projects, like getting the hoses out and weeding the flower beds (quite a trick at nine months pregnant, but wonderful to be outside!).

*  Watched hockey AND two episodes of Downton Abbey.  Seriously, how have we only just started watching this show (and by started, I also mean finished, since we have allowed ourselves to obsessively watch until we've finished both season one and season two)?

*  Took naps.

*  Cooked dinner together at home--a special treat for Jason, I'm sure, who has been doing much more than his fair share of the cooking and dishes these days.

Such a fantastic day together.  I know this next weekend will be full of moving back into our upstairs (!), getting the baby's room put together (or at least the crib put together), and the like, so it was fantastic to have one last perfect day before everything changes forever!

1 comment:

Jason and Jackie said...

Watch that weeding! That's what I was doing when Jonathan decided to come 6 weeks early. :o) I might have washed all of the windows inside and out that evening too... I think... maybe. Oh - and it's so incredibly easy to obsessively watch both seasons of Downton Abbey. Glad you got that in pre-baby. :o)