Monday, April 16, 2012

Two Weeks from Today

There is something about Capitol Hill that apparently compels people to comment on the fact that I am pregnant (insert awkward, eternal elevator ride with congresswoman telling me my face wasn't fat at all, not at all (she did not know me at all, not at all)).  I realize that when Kaylyn and I walk down the hall with our huge bellies, we are a bit of a freak show, but even when I'm alone people just can't help themselves.  Best comment so far:  "Well, looks like you're working on a fun summer project."  Worst comment?  "Wow, you've been busy."

Anyway, the most frequent elevator comments from random strangers are usually a bit tamer, things like, "Do you know what you're having?" and "Have you picked out a name?" (inevitably followed by the suggestion that I pick their name--because, by the way, these are mostly men commenting) and "When are you due?" 

To the final question I have usually, for some reason, chosen to say "early May" instead of actually giving my due date.  The approximation always just felt more comfortable that an actual date.  But now we have an actual birth date for our boy--April 30, two weeks from today (barring, of course, an early arrival!).  A case of placenta previa--marginal but stubborn--means that he will be a wee bit early and we will need a c-section,something I have been glad to have a few weeks to get used to.

There are a few strange sensations here--having a real "last day" at work, marking the calendar with the day we meet the newest member of our family, realizing our house should be done about three days before he's born, etc.  But it is exciting, too.  My aunt took this ultrasound picture when I was in Idaho (see his two eyes, his nose, and his ear at the bottom of his head there?), and I already think he's pretty adorable.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Silly people -- you are just darling! Praying for you in these final weeks. Can't wait for his arrival!

Alison said...

So exciting! And yes, he is adorable already :)

Your discussion of the odd work comments is so funny--Amanda and I often talk about the awkward things that get said at workplaces!!

Amanda Gingerich said...

I seriously laughed out loud when you said the men suggest their names! Haha!!

My workplace comments were usually look, then "How are you feeling?" Umm..fine?

So excited for April 30!