Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nursery Reveal (Finally)

We don't even call Henry's room the nursery anymore, so it's sort of weird to use that in the blog title, BUT, if I had posted this in, oh, early March, when I WANTED to have the nursery done, that's what I would have called it.  In early March, of course, it looked like this.

But today, finally finally, Henry's room is officially done.  The room was functional about three days before he was born (major thanks to my friend Maria, who helped a very pregnant me get the crib put together, the bedding put on, and the clothes hung in the closet in an afternoon), and Henry's been sleeping in his crib since he was about three weeks old, but all the touches that have been floating around my head for eight months or so are finally reality.  So glad we get to enjoy a finished nursery for a little while before it starts transforming into a little kid's room.

Going one direction, the room looks like this:

The glider was an awesome hand-me-down from a friend, now clothed in (spit-up covered) grey corduroy, thanks to my mom.  I promise I managed to recover one cushion by myself.  She also just made the cover for the nursing pillow--it's nice to have my extra bed pillow back, after five months of spit up just barely missing it each morning...

We LOVE our Ikea crib.  I went for a "Frog and Toad" theme--long before I was pregnant, I'd decided on butterflies for a girl and frogs for a boy (like the "born again" theme), so it was a logical step to Frog and Toad.  Prints from the books are above the bed.

One of my favorite things in the room is the frog mobile we got in Prague last fall.  It was a good thing they didn't have a butterfly mobile--I just knew that buying the frog one meant we were definitely going to have a boy...

From the other angle, the room looks like this:



Henry's changing table is a highlight of the room!  Jason's dad built it from a picture I sent, and we love it.  It turned out beautifully.  I would not want to live without it.  Eventually the changing top will come off and it will be the perfect place for toys and books. 


I am a big fan of these pictures rods (also one in the spare room).  This one kills two birds with one stone--since we live so far away from all our family, I wanted to have pictures of them in Henry's room, AND it serves as a nice distraction for him when he's getting his diaper changed.  Good deal.


Here lives our growing collection of children's books.  We've gathered a few from places we've visited over the past few years, as well as inheriting some family treasures and getting some of our favorites from well-read friends...and it turns out I have no self control at Costco when it comes to kids books...

We put things we like above the books:  a poem we got in Puerto Rico a couple of months before Henry was born, a framed "Child of God" from Alison, "Henry" commissioned by Grandma, Maurice Sendak's "Nutshell Library" from the Griffiths, and a frog from Papa.

A nursery reveal would not be complete without a view of Henry's awesome closet, already FULL to the brim with clothes, thanks to five generous older cousins and a grandma who likes to send cute things Henry's way.  Our brother-in-law Adam wisely suggested we make a deep closet, and we have been grateful for it every day.

Here's the final view as you walk into the room.  Love the green rug--which we must have walked by at Ikea about ten times before finally purchasing last week.  Also love the screaming hungry baby on the floor.  I promise he'd JUST started crying and that I fed him as soon as I took this picture.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Love, love, love it! Great personal touches and Frog and Toad are some of my favorite book characters.

Thomas and Dea said...

I don't know what I live more...that insanely beautiful organized closet or the rug that looks like soft Earth. Or maybe the boy on it :)

Andrea said...

i love it too. i have only looked about 5 times without commenting. on my game. beautiful. the closet and all the frog and toad touches. nice work smalll family.