Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Pumkpin Patch

In a quintessential fall moment, we spent last Saturday with the Pattersons at the pumpkin patch.

Carly and Kevin, scouting out the patch

We'd intended to go apple picking, but apparently it is too late for apples the first weekend of October?!?  Weird crop season (when I conversationally commented on this, I got a long lecture from the proprietor about how crops depend on the weather and the seasons are different every year, blah blah I have a garden too blah).  Luckily they had enough pre-picked ones left for at least a pie and a good batch of applesauce.
 


Mad because he wanted to stand.
I put Henry in an adorable pumpkiny hat for the occasion.  I had originally bought a 0-6 month size but had to exchange it for 6-12 months after I tried it on him and it looked like his ridiculously small newborn hospital hat.  Apparently the kid's head is coming into its own.  Anyway, he looked adorable, in spite of Jason's derisive snorts.

 
Missy and I with our little pumpkin heads


We may not have been able to pick apples, but we did pick pumpkins, kale, lettuce, and potatoes.  Afterward we took our picnics to a nearby winery, then packed up tired kids and headed home. 

Digging taters

With all our produce
Such a perfect day, and we loved spending it with good friends.  We've been eating kale and apples ever since.

2 comments:

Meet the Bucher's said...

Looks fun! I love the pumpkin hat, perfect for the occasion!

Alison said...

Did you tell him you were highly active in FFA and know how the whole crop thing works?!