Saturday, August 01, 2009

Coping with a Disability

Since I fractured my ankle in what has become a fanciful story of ice hockey glory (modeled on the movie "Miracle"), I have tasted the challenge of living with a disability. This is a new experience as I have only had two serious injuries in my past. I sustained a hairline fracture in my knee in 6th grade (ironically, while playing playground foot hockey), and in college, severed the nerve in part of my right index finger when a hanging glass light globe shattered. Both required bandaging and in the latter case, stitches, but I've have never had to have a cast for a prolonged period. Missy has been teaching me to have a sense of humor about the whole thing -- laughing at the small things I can no longer do and finding creative ways to achieve some level of independence. I suppose the biggest lesson, however, is to let oneself depend on others. And I have certainly benefited from an outpouring of offers of help from friends, family, and co-workers. A true blessing.

My mom has graciously come out to stay with me over the next few days, since Missy had an important work trip that I didn't want her to miss, and I have a follow-up appointment on Monday to determine whether surgery is needed. At the same time, my dad has come out with two of his workers to help get our condo ready for renting and to make headway on a few items left over from our basement renovation last year. I hope to post up some pictures soon. I am so grateful to all of them.

And well, here I sit (I thought the below photo Missy took captured well how I feel). Searching the internet for creative ways to cope with this temporary disability. I sent in my request to the DMV for a temporary car handicap placard (authorized by my doctor of course), and I also ordered a vinyl cast cover that seals the cast away from water so I don't have to shower with my leg hanging over the side and covered in two plastic trash bags! It should arrive on Monday. We also discovered that an oval hamper, turned over with a small waterproof pillow on top, is a nice make-shift "in-shower seat".

Yesterday, I went to Home Depot with my dad to pick up some things for the project, and was treated to an electric cart that gave me mobility around the store. It seemed that the employees seemed extra helpful. Maybe this cast thing isn't so bad?

As one person said, I should see this an opportunity for preparing for old age. Well, I don't know about that, but I do know that I intend to get back on the ice as soon as I can, maybe with a little extra tape around the ankles.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

oh jason...

you are coping really well. we will be praying that recovery is swift...