Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The Eastern Shore

My mom and I decided to venture out. Since my cast prevents me from driving, not only has she been my attendant this week, but also my cook and chauffeur. Not a bad way to live ...

Given my mom's interest in historical sites, we visited two on Wednesday. Our first stop was Tudor Place, a historic house and garden a stone's throw from where Missy lived once-upon-a-time in Georgetown. Despite my injury, I was able to astutely wield my crutches around the grounds and up the stairs. We were treated to a virtual personally guided tour of the house -- which housed Martha Washington's granddaughter and stayed in that family until 1983. The rooms in the house reflect various periods throughout that long history.

We then proceeded up the Clara Barton Parkway, along the Potomac in Maryland, to the Clara Barton national historic site. After eating our picnic lunch under a shade tree, a park service tour guide showed us the house, which served as Clara Barton's home (founder of the American Red Cross) and Red Cross Headquarters for many years.

After returning home and tuning the weather channel to see tomorrow's forecast, my mom saw a map of the area and asked if we could go to the Eastern Shore. Why not? We packed up the car and headed across the Bay Bridge to St. Michaels, MD. A couple of years ago, I stayed a night in St. Michaels during a work retreat so I was partially familiar with the area. We found a local crab restaurant and decided to try the special -- steamed Maryland blue crabs sprinkled with bay seasoning. We split a half-dozen crabs between us. While I can't say it was my favorite meal -- a lot of effort for very little meat -- it was a fun lunch!

No comments: