Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Sap is Rising


Don't be fooled by this lovely picture of spring flowers--it is freezing outside. And I mean almost literally freezing. When we got up, the temp was 35, and we were both really relieved that we have (so far) restrained from planting anything in our garden except the asparagus. What with the days in the 70's the past week, it was pretty tempting to get out there and start putting stuff in the ground! Perhaps we are becoming wise gardeners...

Apart from the frigid temperature, things are just dandy around here. Now that the miserable stretch between President's Day and Easter recesses is over, and my thesis draft is finally in my adviser's hands, I am loving life. Did you know that there are books out there that you can read? And really great shows that you can watch? And, I know, get this--sometimes you can just sit down for no reason and not feel the least bit guilty.

To celebrate, some of my book club girls (whom Jason refers to as my "little friends") are coming over for a Pride and Prejudice marathon. We will be having scones. It will be lovely.

Other things that make us happy:
* This news is simply awesome. We've been praying for Adam's job situation for a while, and it is amazing to see God work everything out to the detail.

* The first spear of asparagus has peeked up its head!

* Baby Hudson, Steven and Amy's new son, made his appearance earlier this week. He is the fifth of five new babies born to couples in our Sunday school class within six months! I think this is what they call "growing a church the old fashioned way."

* Yesterday I got to go to Target and stock up on things like cleaning supplies and make-up. It was a big load, which shouldn't have surprised me--I literally have not had time to run errands for five weeks. It turns out there is a strange sense of freedom in errand-running!

* This soup recipe, which feels a bit like spring while still being warm and cozy. Nice.

It's a pretty nice weekend, all in all. And even if it's cold, the sun is shining brightly and I am finding that I can enjoy the hyacinths and tulips without feeling the urge to go a-digging yet...which makes the weekend even better. Ahhh...

No comments: