Tuesday, April 27, 2010

French Breakfast


I have been a wee bit obsessed with things French lately, like the sole meuniere I insisted on making Sunday night (even though Jason doesn't like fish) and planting lavender in my new herb garden. On Saturday, we started a most perfect weekend by sleeping in (!) until I was driven out of bed by the thought of eating freshly baked chocolate croissants (Trader Joe's, I love you). I had imagined having tea and croissants in the sun on the deck, but let's be honest, I didn't mind too much that it was grey and rainy and we ate in the living room wrapped in blankets.

We had a really nice weekend, during which we planted tomatoes and spruced up the deck and played guitar and went out to dinner here (I've been scouring the web for almond cake recipes, mmm) and started hockey again and watched the best episode of Glee so far and did not crack open a page of my thesis. In spite of predictions of constant rain, we got two days of mostly dry weather, and we are only a few flower pots short of having all the spring gardening work done. And to that I say, yay.

What else have we been doing since the last post?
* Jason is home from Nigeria, despite a brief delay due to volcanic ash. So weird, seriously. But so glad to have him home.

* I spent most of my bachelorettehood eating seafood and spending time torturing my trouble zones with Jillian. Jen gave me two of her DVDs for my birthday. Seriously good stuff.

* I know that over the past couple of years we've given you play by play by play of the garden. I'm trying to refrain (to a point), but I did want to inform you that now our garden is fully planted. And everything (even the carrots!) is coming up but the green beans. (Nervous, as green beans and tomatoes are my reason for gardening this year.) We are growing (or trying to grow): asparagus (it all came up in frilly feathers! yay!), cucumbers, onions, green onions, carrots, green beans (including purple pole beans), sweet peas, tomatoes, yellow peppers, strawberries, and leeks that survived many, many feet of snow over the winter.

Oh, and zucchini. Jason is ready to ditch the zucchini, but I think the third time will be the charm (that, and if it doesn't work this year we are never growing it again!). My trick this year is to plant zinnias next to them to lure some pollinators. Here's to hoping.

We're off this weekend to enjoy the 85 degree weather (!!!) with our friends at a church retreat--wrapping up the spiritual disciplines study we've been working on since October. Good stuff!

1 comment:

Meet the Bucher's said...

Mmmmm, chocolate crossiants! I remember our all you can eat breakfast in Paris where I took them literally:-) And I'm jealous of the 85 degree weather, we've had 50's and rain:-(