Sunday, February 27, 2011

New Things

Here are a few new things for February:

New Spring: It's not really spring, I know, but it's getting harder and harder to keep from pretending it is. Look at these lovely little signs of life. I love bulb flowers--they make you feel alive, even though it's very possible we could still get another snow storm. Delightfully warm day today. We opened our windows and went on a walk. So nice.


New Diploma: Finally arrived on Friday. I'd poo-poohed the idea of framing it, hanging it in house, etc., but then it turns out I'm sort of in awe of it--all pretty and official looking. Perhaps a frame is in order after all...

New Favorite Restaurant: We've been trying to go to Rasika for months--after multiple failures to get a table for the next night, we finalize realized that we'd have to make reservations weeks in advance, and then I ruined our last try by getting sick. We finally went last night, and it was soooo. worth. it. We both woke up thinking about the fried spinach appetizer and the black cod. Birthdays and anniversary? Check.

New Haircut: In cutting my hair, I have officially cut my morning routine in half. Huzzah. Am so a short hair person. Have no idea how I had let long hair sneak up on me again.

New Book: We're still very set in our winter books-in-the-living-room ways, in spite of not needing a fire today. Jason, who has uncharacteristically found himself reading about four books at once, finished Hamlet's Blackberry today, which he'd put down for Harry Potter, and I gobbled up 70 pages of One Thousand Gifts--utterly amazing. About becoming fluent in the language of thankfulness. Expect me to be talking about this one for a while.

New Fence: Our big project of the winter was getting a fence put in--something we've hemmed and hawed over for years and finally just did. We love it. It looks so much better than I thought it would--and we actually have a "back" yard (and a corner in which to pile all the branches from two weeks of wind storms)! Suddenly our house seems perfect. Of course, someone walking their dog yesterday asked expectantly if we were getting a dog. Um, no...


New Habit: I've taken to baking bread every weekend lately--just quick breads, don't get all freaked out on me. Missy tipped me off to Whole Wheat Molasses Bread, I made my Grams' banana bread one week, and the past two weeks have been cheesy breads from this delightful book (this week's is a tasty (and overly lemony) cheesy olive bread). Next week I'm determined to pry the recipe for the carrot cake bread Tilly made this weekend out of her hands...

5 comments:

Amanda said...

You MUST frame the diploma! Congrats again! Love the hair! Just finished reading One Thousand Gifts -- wow, what a gift! It has caused me to reflect and ponder more than ever. We'll have to chat about it soon.

RaChelle and Paul said...

Feel like I am repeating Amanda (this happens often on your blog!) - Nice job on the hair cut - looks really good and of course you should frame the diploma! :>

RaChelle and Paul said...

PS: very impressed with Rasika's website...it looks like the used "prezi" ~ which is very big in my little library world right now...sorry, random!

Jenny said...

I'm jealous of your warmer weather. It was up to 60 here yesterday, but I was trapped in the hospital working. Bah!

Krista said...

Remember! My husband used to own his own framing business and continues to frame on the side! He does an amazing job and I can guarantee he is more affordable!!:) :) :) :) You SHOULD frame it! Congrats!