Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Officially Done

Graduation was last week, and while we're still sort of picking up the pieces from a busy weekend, we had a great, fun celebration. I thought it might feel anti-climactic to walk after being done with classes for five months, but I'm glad I did--nice and official-feeling.


Both my parents and Jason's parents came out for graduation, which was so fun. They had met exactly one time (wedding), so this second visit was long overdue. We're so lucky to have parents who like each other, get along well, and are generally nice, stellar people.


We had a big graduation party on Friday, debuting the fabulous new back yard and celebrating with friends. Steven was designated photographer, so we'll get some pictures up here soon, but let me just say that our yard is awesome. Oh, and send a big shout-out to Dad and Jason, who planted way more flowers than they expected to on Thursday and Friday. So worth it, really.


Also, a post about graduation would not be complete without a shout-out to Jason. I love this picture above of him helping me figure out how to put on my hood. So symbolic of my entire grad school career, during which he put up with an exhausted and often tearful wife, read my entire thesis (God bless him), told me I was a good writer, didn't let me quit, set the timer so that I could read for an hour and then take a break, thought a Masters was worthwhile even if it didn't come with a promotion or a pay increase, prodded me with tea when I was losing it, gave direction for my scholarship application, made more than his fair share of meals, figured out what the heck I was trying to say in my thesis, and never complained (okay, well he might of complained once about having to read my thesis...). Lots of people have told me that they were glad that they weren't married when they were working full time and going to school, but I could.not. have done it without him.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay for graduate degrees (congrats!), great parents and Jason (I was going to say husbands, but I'm still waiting on that one). :)

Dawn said...

I'm so happy for you! And your backyard is beautiful. It is amazing what you've done with that space. It's a very Real Simple space. Or Better Homes and Gardens. It's perfect.

april said...

Congrats, Missy! You've always been an amazing writer, and now you have the degree to "prove" it! I always love hearing about what's going on in your corner of the world. You make me feel like I'm right there, enjoying beautiful VA with you. Thanks for sharing it with us!

RaChelle and Paul said...

I think the green is much more exciting than red and black - congratulations Missy (and Jason too)!