Sunday, October 01, 2006

At the Pumpkin Patch


Pumpkin Picking
Originally uploaded by jmsmall2005.

It's finally October, the best month to be a transplanted Washingtonian. We ventured outside of the Beltway today and into the Maryland countryside (lots of Maryland for us lately, huh?) to our favorite farm for some produce pickin'. There are lots of little "fall festivals" around here, places you can take your kids to give them a little exposure to the countryside--hay rides, pumpkin patches, farm animal petting zoos, etc. Our country excursions are a little tamer, and we usually head up to Rock Hill Orchard at least once a year to pick berries or apples.

Besides, I don't pet cows. Just ask my dad--if the cows get out, I will be hiding under my bed.

As it's the end of raspberry season, pickings were slim, but we managed enough to make a pie or so. Then we picked a couple bags of apples (now that Congress has FINALLY recessed for campaign season, I have great ambitions of making applesauce) and a couple nice little pumpkins.

I love fall here. The tree outside our window blooms pink in the spring, and now its leaves are trembling with anticipation at turning brilliantly red and gold. Autumn makes it worth living here during the rest of the year.

In other news, the Redskins just won. And Cole has opened his eyes...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I think you should send out "fall cards" instead of Christmas cards, because that picture would be perfect. Oh, I miss fall on the east coast!

Amanda said...

I think I need another Cole picture ...