Monday, March 30, 2009

A Book Recommendation

So, escaping to Florida for the weekend provided an opportunity to do one of the things Missy and I like best -- read on the beach. I started and finished a fabulous book -- cover to cover -- in the space of two days, and had to recommend it. "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga is a story of a man growing up in India. It is a tale of morality, society, murder, and entrepreneurship. If you enjoyed the film "Slumdog Millionaire," you will like this book.

Since the new U.S. strategic plan for Afghanistan-Pakistan has become one of the issues du jour in my job, I found the book particularly enlightening on the issue of governance and corruption in South Central Asia. Beware -- it contains language and mature themes, so don't wander in blindly. But if you are looking for great fiction that stirs the mind -- dive in!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I couldn't agree more -- my book club read The White Tiger for our March book. It was an interesting read. I second Jason's recommendation.