Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bye Bye Bushes

The infant days of Spring this weekend tempted us with mild warmth, so we decided to get a jump on yard work. After nearly two years of lamenting the overgrown bushes out front, I purchased a hedge trimmer and put it to good use. Having little experience in the bushwhacking business, I proceeded cautiously. After a few quick slices, it turned out to be much easier that I expected. It can be a little addictive though. Before I realized it, I was sawing down low hanging tree limbs and clearing small jungles in the side yard. Look out!

Notwithstanding the seduction of the buzzing blade, we were able to make good progress. We cleared away ugly oversize branches and gave our bushes a bit more shape before they start growing in earnest. Missy especially disliked the two hedges that guard our entry steps like imposing terra cotta warriors, choking off views of the flower beds about burst with tulips. So, with the additional help of a sabre saw, bye bye bushes.

This photo shows the shapely round hedge I created -- and the missing spot in the far left corner where I sawed away a despised bush.


The remains of the bushes ...


Next project: expanding the vegetable garden, building better tomato cages, and installing a do-it-yourself drip irrigation system paired with a moisture sensing timer.

1 comment:

Meet the Bucher's said...

Let me know how the "drip-it-yourself" system goes. I might have to try it if it turns out:-)