Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Zack's Wedding

Zack and Kristina got married this weekend, so we had a fun weekend of catching up with old friends. Ryan and Lindsay brought Baby Grayson and stayed with us for the weekend. I love that these nine-year-old friendships not only last but spread so that not only are Ryan and I still friends, but now Jason and I feel like both Lindsay and Ryan are good friends of ours.

Zack's wedding, which was our second Quaker wedding, was touching and beautiful. I like that in the Quaker tradition we are not just an audience watching the couple make their vows but we are participants, witnessing them vow to be faithful to each other for the rest of their lives. That is always how I feel about weddings, but I like that the Quakers recognize it so intentionally.
The reception was also great fun. We had met for coffee early in the afternoon, but we were glad to have an evening meal and lots of time to visit. We ate at Marrakesh, a really cool Moroccan restaurant downtown, where we lounged on cushions and ate seven courses with our hands before watching the belly dancer...and, unfortunately, being pulled out of my seat and into the belly-dancing spotlight. I mentioned here how my Nazarene hips do not swing that way, and now everyone who was at the reception can attest to that.

It was great fun to get caught up with these dear friends--and I got to see Josh for only the second time since we left Oxford! I loved sitting back and watching everyone interact, as though it wasn't a big deal that nine years had passed, and we were just as likely to be friends as real grown ups as we were as wide-eyed college students.

No comments: