Wednesday, March 28, 2012

End of an Era

Dear Amish Friendship Bread Starter,

It's over.  We've had a good run, but it's time to move on.   Move on to more reasonable things, like banana bread and scones and, well, toast from sliced, store-bought bread with jam on it.  Oh, it seemed fun at first.  I was seduced by the idea of nice, homey bread coming out of the oven every ten days.  I enjoyed folding friends and coworkers into the fun of the project.  And the first time (and second, and third...) I cracked into your crumbly cinnamony crust, I thought it was love.

But here's the thing.  I don't need ten loaves of cinnamon bread in my house.  And it turns out I don't actually have enough friends to keep pawning off starters onto.  And a bag of gloppy goo on my counter just isn't that attractive anymore.  And, let's be honest, I've invested waaaayyy too much flour, milk, and sugar into you for what I get...which is a lecture from my doctor every two weeks about my weight gain.

So it's time to let go.  It's time to stop panicking because it's 9 pm on the tenth day and I haven't started mixing you up.  It's time to eat more carrot sticks and less sugary cinnamon bread.  It's time to maybe be okay with store-bought bread for a while, especially when getting to the grocery store is already challenge enough.

So long.

Missy

3 comments:

Meet the Bucher's said...

I'm on the same page! Good stuff but a little too good to be eating so frequently. I also agree about the gooey bag sitting on the counter. Unfortunately, one of my bags went MIA last week and I'm afraid of when and where I'm going to find it!

RaChelle and Paul said...

You know you're done with Amish friendship bread when your dog eats a bag of the starter off the counter...he really did us all a favor!

Amanda said...

This is definitely making me laugh! Ohh, Amish bread:) By the way-you look AWESOME, I think it's a rule that doctors must bother pregnant girls about their weight, no matter what!