Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Survival

Jason should be home any minute, which means that Henry and I have almost survived our first day home alone together.  It was touch and go this morning, after he had basically fussed and cried from his 3:30 a.m. feeding until Jason left four hours later.  I broke all the rules of safely raising a child and put him in bed with me, where we both slept soundly until he needed to eat again.  We shed some mutual tears when Jason called to see how we were doing, and we've been listening to "Heavenly Lullabies" or "Bullfrogs and Butterflies" (soothing for both of us) for most of the day.

Enjoying his activity mat
I told Jason last night that I'm a little alarmed at myself--I was so looking forward to being a stay-at-home mom, but now that my moment is here, there is a part of me that really wanted to go off to work with him today!  After all, I know how to handle almost any situation work might throw at me, but consoling my four-week-old baby can be kind of daunting! Luckily, things looked up this afternoon when Henry took a great nap in his crib and a friend came by to visit and bring us dinner.  So, so grateful for our friends!

Chillin' with Dad in the basement (check out the growing belly, yay!)

I did not take any pictures today--I'm not sure anyone wants to see either Henry (who gloriously peed all over both of us, then spit up all over the general area of his changing table today) or me (who managed to shower this morning but the spent the rest of the morning with a towel over my head, hair drying into freakish spikes)--but here are a couple from the last few days.


In spite of our rocky start today, I am so blessed to be able to spend the next few months (at least) at home with Henry (and I am doubly blessed to have had Jason home for so long!).  He has already changed so much (cute cheeks!  long legs!  adorable belly!), and I love getting to know him.  He loves music and being sung to, he loves to be outside, and he HATES to have his diaper changed.  He makes the most adorable milky faces when he's finished nursing, he is starting to watch us intently while we talk to him, and every day Jason and I just look at him and marvel that we got to take him home with us.

No comments: